What is hair oil?
Hair oil is an oily cosmetic preparation formulated to improve the condition of the hair.
Types of hair oil
Following are the most commonly used hair oils:
- Coconut Oil- Coconut oil is one of the most potent oils in the world. It is rich in vitamin E and other nutrients. It provides shiner, thicker, healthier and has stronger hair roots. It also contains capric and lauric acid that have amazing antimicrobial powers. Thus it helps to make your scalp and hair healthier and prevent itchy scalp, dandruff and infections.
- Argan Oil- Argan oil is the most expensive among all hair oils. It contains lots of omega 3, vitamin E and antioxidants that work for dry, damaged, coarse or unmanageable hair.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil- Olive oil is used for deep moisturizing and to promote hair growth. Massaging scalp with olive oil promotes scalp health and improves blood circulation, whilst fighting off bacteria and leaving hair softer and smoother.
- Rosemary Essential Oil- This oil contains loads of iron, vitamin B and calcium. It is used as a treatment for thinning and brittle hair also to prevent premature greying.
- Avocado Oil- Avocado oil contains proteins, amino acids, healthy fats and vitamins A, D, E and B6 and magnesium and minerals which strengthens your hair.
- Jojoba Oil- Jojoba oil is not exactly oil it is a liquefied wax which is extracted from a particular shrub. Jojoba oil is rich in vitamins A, E and D. It helps to repair damage to hair and promotes healthy hair growth.
- Castor Oil- Castor oil is usually used by sufferers of hair loss as it can increase hair growth up to three times than the normal rate.
Why we use hair oil?
Oiling hair is one of the most important things that one should do to take care of his or her hair. It is very important to give a proper massage with beneficial oils.
Following are the benefits of oiling hair regularly:
- Fights premature greying of hair- Regular oiling of hair prevents pre-mature greying and keeps them strong and healthy.
- Protects hair from pollution– Many of us are not aware of the fact that oiling hair regularly helps to protect them against pollution. Oiling your hair protects them from environmental attacks as dirt, dust, pollution and ultra-violet rays of the sun.
- Prevents dryness of the hair- Regular use of hair oil will keep your hair nourished for longer. Moreover, hair oil acts as a coolant and prevents your hair from heating conditions.
- Smoothens hair- Massaging hair oil on scalp stimulates the blood circulation, which helps in hair growth and beautification by making them smoother and shinier.
Does hair oil make hair stronger?
- Is hair regrowth oil reality or a marketing gimmick?
- Is there any scientific & clinical research on hair oil for baldness treatment?
Hair oils contain a number of nutrients that are helpful in strengthening the hair. Nutrients as iron, vitamins, and proteins play a major role in making hair stronger. Also, oiling your hair helps in improving the blood circulation which increases the hair growth. The benefits of hair oils are evident in various research papers. There are many scientific and clinical types of research that show the importance of hair oils in the regrowth of hair and treatment of baldness.
Various types of treatment for baldness
- Medicines: There are only two drugs approved by the U.S. FDA for the treatment of baldness- Minoxidil and Finasteride.
- Minoxidil: Minoxidil lotion is applied to the scalp to treat baldness. It is available over the counter, and no prescription is needed. It can be used by both men and women. It is available as a 2%, 4% and 5% solution.
- Finasteride: This medication is approved by FDA only for use in men. Finasteride comes from the class of 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. It reduces hair loss by blocking the action of natural hormones in scalp hair follicles.
- Hair transplantation: Hair transplantation is the best treatment for the baldness as it provides permanent results. There are two main hair transplant techniques- follicular unit extraction and direct hair transplant. Direct hair transplant technique is the modification of follicular unit extraction technique thus it is 100% safe and painless if done by an experienced surgeon.
- Wigs: Many people choose a wig to cover their bald head to restore the appearance of a full head of hair.