On August 8, 2020 / admin / 0 Comments
Ten facts you must know about hair transplant
We are going to discuss the very basics of hair transplantation
- A single strand of hair is called a follicle. A group of follicles existing naturally on the scalp is called a follicular unit or graft. This follicular unit/graft can have from 1 to 6 follicles depending from person to person. With an average of 2-3 per graft.
- There is a permanent zone (from where human beings don’t completely lose hair due to baldness) and a temporary zone (from where the hair are prone to early miniaturisation due to baldness) on the scalp. It is estimated that on average an individual has around 100000 hair grafts on his scalp out of which about 75000 are temporary and 25000 are permanent. The usual permanent area is above the neck and the ears (but below the crown and the lateral humps) forming a horseshoe-shaped area on the back scalp.
- Hairfall is different from baldness. Hairfall is the root discarding the hair strand after maturation in order to give birth to younger hair strands which is a typical phase of a normal hair cycle. In baldness, however, the hair follicles miniaturise along with the roots and eventually disappear altogether due to its sensitivity to the presence Dihydrotestosterone(DHT) in the body.
- Androgenetic Alopecia is not a disease. It is a natural phenomenon occuring to all men in varying degrees.
- Hair transplant does not stop the progression of baldness. DHT blocker medication, Finasteride does. Always remember to consult your doctor for detailed information.
- There is no pain during the procedure of hair transplant. It is a very superficial procedure and the patients are okay immediately after the procedure is over. There is no admittance required.
- Hair transplant is a laborious process for the performing team and requires skill and precision.
- Hair transplant does not have any side effects at all when done in the right hands.
- An individual must wait patiently for at least 6-12 months after the procedure to witness the full results. It is not an instantly gratifying process. But always worth the wait.
- Different individuals have completely different head size, hair calibre, donor density, etc. which play important roles in the determination of the requirement and results.